I don’t know about you all but I love it when I walk into a store and walk out with goodies in a bag and paid close to nothing for it. SALE SEASON is among us and we’re about three weeks or so into it. For those of you who don’t know what I’m talking about, it’s the time of the year ( it happens 2x a year for major retailers) where department stores are racking in their last season items, slashing prices down and opening doors to anxious customers like moi so we can get the chance to buy what we missed during the season at a reduced priced.
Given all that’s at play at every store right now, fear not!!! I have 5 simple steps to help you get through and out of those stores, shop like a pro and get your money’s worth. Now before you head to the stores, scam through your closet to see what you’re missing and what you need to update.
- Shop Early – Doing those ‘lunch drive bys’ aren’t good for your sanity nor your bank account. Set aside a day where you can go shopping as soon as the doors open. The benefits: the store is neatly organized, replenishments are done. You’re not wasting time going through piles on tables, unorganized wall fixtures, etc… No line ups in fitting room and for the most part at cash as well.
- Budget – Just because it is on sale doesn’t mean it is meant for you to take it home. Ask yourself: What is the purpose of me being in that store? Are you shopping because boredom? I have a set amount I’m willing to spend and I stick to it! Don’t try to carry over a due date (bill $) until next paycheck or week.
- Use this event to update your wardrobe – This is where the mental inventory of your closet comes in handy…..I revamp and update this time of year- (a section of my wardrobe– i.e. If I need more denim or blouse). Off course you can get you a piece of eye candy too. But my priorities are set walking in (I have a set amount I’m willing to spend) and I’m not all over the place and spending endless time and not knowing what I want. You want basic and timeless pieces, not ‘1 outfit wonders’. Ask yourself: is this style/trend most likely will repeat for another season.
- Eat before you go – Shopping on an empty stomach is never effective. You will walk in there and ‘grab the next best thing’ = things you don’t need but you didn’t want to waste your time walking in. Those items end up in the back of the closet, months later still with the tag on. I know I can’t think right on an empty stomach let alone shop.
- Don’t Rush It – My Philosophy is this: ‘even greater saving come to those who wait..” Yeah I know that I sound like a preacher but some of ya’ll need to hear the sermon. Most of us walk into a store, and feel that we must walk out with some stuff. Sometimes you don’t, you end up browsing and keep it moving. You may have even had a couple of item that you wanted to get but the price is to steep. Remember the goal of the retailer is to get rid of their stock- ‘Further Markdowns’ is how they try to get rid of it faster and where you come in and help them out and get your pieces close to nothing. As the weeks of sale goes by the prices goes down!!!!
Bonus: Be nice – Making the sales associates your BFF during your visit is playing it smart and makes your experience less stressful. They can give you mini tours of where things are located (save time wondering around). They may even go further helping you locate specific stuff you need. They’ll share with you the next shipment date, tell you about their policies during sale (price adjustment or nah)…might even call another store for you…
Have fun!! Grab a girlfriend and have lunch or coffee afterwards.